The Level 2 Award in Instructing Physical Activity for Children aims to provide learners with the knowledge and skills to be able to plan, prepare and deliver safe and effective physical activity sessions for children aged 5-11 years and 11-15 years. Learners are also given an understanding of the legal and professional requirements, including safeguarding when leading physical activity sessions for children.
• A suitable Level 2 fitness instructing qualification, for example:
- Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing
- Level 2 Certificate in Group Training or Exercise to Music
• Some experience of working with children is useful.
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore some physical fitness is necessary
- There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication)
• Qualified fitness instructors wishing to widen their skills to offer physical activity for children.
Planning and instructing physical activity for children:
- Understand the legal and professional requirements for leading children’s physical activity sessions
- Understand the key legislation and organisational requirements for safeguarding and protecting children
- Know the current recommended physical activity guidelines for children
- Understand how to select suitable activities and equipment for children’s activity sessions
- Understand how to lead safe and effective physical activity sessions for children
- Understand the principles of motivating children to adhere to exercise/physical activity
- Be able to plan safe, effective and inclusive physical activity sessions for children for both age groups 5-11 and 11-15
- Be able to prepare children for physical activity
- Be able to deliver physical activity to children
- Be able to bring a physical activity session to an end
- Be able to reflect on providing physical activity sessions for children
• Session plan and risk assessment
• Practical Demonstration